EVOLUTION OF PICKLEBALL IN BRISBANE
WARNING: PICKELBALL IS ADDICTIVE. Enthusiasts introduced to pickleball overseas returned and connected in late 2017 resulting in the establishment of regular playing times. A successful interview on the ABC news produced rapid growth in player numbers in early 2018. This in turn led to the creation of the Brisbane Pickleball Club (BPC) in August 2018. An AGM in Newmarket brought the evolution of Brisbane pickleball a full circle as this is where Brisbane games first began.
WHO WE ARE
BPC is a fun group of people who love playing pickleball together. Connect with us through firstname.lastname@example.org or through our Meetup site. All our weekly event coordination happens through Meetup. Participation in Brisbane Pickleball Club sessions ranges from $5 – $10/hr dependent upon the venue costs.
How To Play follow this link to learn more about the game.
Social Play : Brisbane Pickleball Club provides social play sessions across the week and across Brisbane. Albion Indoor Sports Centre has Brisbane’s first purpose-built courts. We also play regularly at Newmarket, Coorparoo, East Brisbane, Chandler, Thornside, and Beenleigh. There are morning, afternoon, and evening sessions. Go to our Event Calendar for further details of sessions presently available
Competitive Play : Pickleball is easy to introduce but grows to be challenging, fast-paced and competitive as players become more experienced. BPC seeks to develop players, through competitive play and coaching.
What sort of player are you? Not sure where you fit in, have a look at this simple self-assessment guide to help you work out your skill level.
For the more competitive player the following are on offer:
- Monday night competitive fixture at Albion.
- Thursday night Round Robin at Albion.
Upcoming events in the planning stages are:
- Weekly Doubles Competition at Albion
- The 2019 Brisbane Doubles Open (June 1st & 2nd) to be held in “The Arena” Sleeman Sports Complex, Chandler. For registration head to the following link: Brisbane Doubles Open
- National Comp (October 5th & 6th) to be held at the Hibiscus Sport Complex, Upper Mt Gravatt. Registration will open in May.
NOTE: All players are encouraged to get involved in tournaments. They are a wonderful social opportunity. Players are always grouped to compete against others of a similar skill level.
BRISBANE PICKLEBALL CLUB
Established August 2018
BPC was established to provide players with the opportunity to belong to a fast growing club focused on creating a wide range of playing and development opportunities for Brisbane pickleball participants.
GOALS OF BPC:
- promotion of Pickleball across the greater Brisbane area.
- provision of regular playing sessions at multiple venues, time slots, and skill levels
- provide training and coaching for development of players and the sport
- encourage social connection among participants
- facilitate Brisbane involvement in city, state and national tournaments and development clinics
- work towards establishment of a permanent Pickleball centre
Membership benefits include:
- Insurance coverage (in conjunction with Pickleball Australia)
- Financial support of club (e.g. equipment and communication)
- Facilitated access to indoor and outdoor venues and play sessions.
- Advocacy for dedicated courts and further venue access.
- Support of player development by offering tournaments, clinics, ladder, and league opportunities.
- Connection with pickleball enthusiasts of all skill levels.
- The opportunity to be involved in the development and direction of a new and growing sport.
Membership is an annual fee renewed in July each year. The fee for 2019/2020 will be approximately $60. The fee is negotiated at the AGM each year. This will include a player affiliation with both Pickleball Australia and Queensland Pickleball.